David Palladini Has Passed Away

I have just learned that my good friend David Palladini has passed away. Palladini was a brilliant and internationally renowned illustrator, known for his book & magazine covers, Tarot deck designs, movie posters, and, of course, his iconic artwork for The Eyes of the Dragon.

Over the past few years, we became close friends. David had an important part to play in the genesis of Suntup Editions. The Eyes of the Dragon Art Portfolio was our first publication, and it was this experience that helped me navigate through some challenging times and go on to build this press.

We were brought together at a point in our lives when we each needed what the other was capable of providing. David gave me counsel, insight, inspiration, and energy where it was lacking; and through the publication of the portfolio, it brought further recognition to his work, not only of the illustrations from that novel, but also to the work he created throughout his 40 year career. David would often say that the last few years of his life were the happiest as a result.

David Palladini lived his life through art, and it is through his art that he lives on. He was a good man, an authentic man, and a good friend who I will dearly miss. His closest brother Mario Palladini wishes to express his deepest gratitude, on behalf of himself and his family, to all those who supported David’s work.

“Despite having lived in society, I always felt I was playing a role, being sensible, congenial, mannerly, and stable. But out in nature, just me and my easel and canvas, the real me emerged…unstable, mercurial, perhaps anti-social, forever in conflict when encountering shallow falseness in others. Being alone allowed me to talk to the birds and flowers without shame, to shout at gathering storm clouds, telling them to hold off until I finished. The happiest times of my life are when I am alone, watching my hand do amazing things—when my mind blends with nature until I no longer exist. At these moments, I am finally complete.” – David Palladini

Rest in Peace, my friend.

Paul Suntup with David Palladini in 2016

Ariel Bosi March 14, 2019, 12:45 pm

I’m very sorry for your and his family’s loss. He was a great artist and will live through his works. RIP

• Paul Suntup

Paul Suntup March 14, 2019, 12:48 pm

Thank you Ari. Much appreciated.

Mark Strong March 14, 2019, 6:42 pm

Sending my deepest condolences to the Palladini family, his life-partner Margreta, and Paul in this difficult time. I honor you David, my friend, with love and cherished memories of an artistic life well-lived and done on your own terms… a true original. Thank you for your friendship, kindness and inspirational art. I will miss you dearly, but am glad to know that you are now free and at one with the infinite universe of light and love, which you were always a part of, and so graciously shared with all of us here through your life and art. Your legacy will live on forever with you. Peace my Brother -Mark

• Paul Suntup

Paul Suntup March 15, 2019, 12:22 am

Well said Mark. You did David proud with your biography. Thank you.

Lee Everett March 14, 2019, 8:13 pm

I am deeply saddened by the news of David Palladini’s passing. David and I were very good friends at Pratt, we sang and played music together and even hosted a radio show.. I would very much like to get a signed print of The Eyes of the Dragon cover or some other of his works. Please let me know what might be available. Sincerely, Lee Everett

• Paul Suntup

Paul Suntup March 15, 2019, 12:21 am

Thank you Lee. David’s print can be found here.

michael doukas March 15, 2019, 8:57 am

Very sorry for your loss Paul. That paragraph written by him you have posted is very nice. Sending good thoughts to you and his family.

• Paul Suntup

Paul Suntup March 15, 2019, 10:46 am

Thank you Mike.

Marc Goldfinger March 15, 2019, 10:24 am

My deepest condolences to you, Paul, and also to the family of David Palladini. A great loss!

• Paul Suntup